So many times I hear of people’s desire to have their own mild adventures: to ditch the package holiday, complete a cycling/running challenge, learn a new skill, hike the Inca Trail, do some volunteer work, take a sabbatical and travel … you get the idea.
But what’s sad for me is that – even though so many people have (or could have) the means to make their dreams a reality – they don’t make them a priority. They go unfulfilled. They end up in the bucket of regret.
I’d love it if you weren’t one of those people.
My mission is to hear you say, “I’m so glad I did it”,
instead of, “I wish I could, BUT … ”
Whether you’re dreaming of an alternative to the two-week beach holiday, want some tips on accommodation types and independent travel, or are seeking ideas about what a longer trip might look like, you’re in the right place.
You can get in touch with me at: Julie@thegapyearedit.com. Whether it’s letting me know a post was helpful, or giving me a bit of a steer as to what you think I could do better, I’d love to hear from you.
About me – in 9 teensy factoids
- I like getting lost. Putting down the map in a city, or going off-piste on a walk is all part of the fun.
- I have an artsy/creative side. I love the graphical shapes of Islamic art (The Alhambra is like paradise on earth for me), post-impressionist era paintings, and costumes and textiles from around the globe. Oh, and I can knit. Yes, really.
- I sponsor a little girl in Bolivia; and previously sponsored a teenage boy in Cambodia. I was privileged to meet him and his family in November 2012. Humbling doesn’t even begin to describe it.
- I try to live life by my values – being friendly, fair, challenging and encouraging. Best ask my friends and former work colleagues if I manage it 😉
- If you need someone to explain the (soccer) offside rule with the aid of table condiments then I’m your girl.
- I’m quite partial to a glass of red wine.M
- My “day job” is marketing and communications – mostly of the contract and freelance variety. I work through my own company, The Comms Guide. Before I set up my business, I worked in in-house marketing and communications roles for (say it quietly) 15 years.
- I’ve quit my job to pursue my wish list dreams. Twice.
- Home is the gorgeous city of York, UK; famous for history, pubs and chocolate. You should visit. Seriously. What are you waiting for?